June 23, 2012   6 notes
Dragon by David Sutherland, from the 1981 version of D&D module B1 In Search of the Unknown.
I found a backup copy of B1 because I was having trouble prepping my 1979 monochrome copy for use.  I wanted to keep some of my old notes, and I didn’t want to attack the old paper again with eraser and pencil.  Plus the pale blue maps are so light I almost can’t read them.  I think they always were like that.
This is the first time I’ve looked closely at the 1981 printing with Darlene’s art on the brown cover.  The maps have more contrast and are much easier to read.  It also has this dragon by Sutherland slipped into the reformatted text on page 6.  Some of the monsters were updated slightly with new stats and three entries were substituted because of the change from Holmes to Moldvay rules — the Large Spiders and Huge Spider became Crab Spiders, and the Giant Tick became a Black Widow Spider.

Dragon by David Sutherland, from the 1981 version of D&D module B1 In Search of the Unknown.

I found a backup copy of B1 because I was having trouble prepping my 1979 monochrome copy for use.  I wanted to keep some of my old notes, and I didn’t want to attack the old paper again with eraser and pencil.  Plus the pale blue maps are so light I almost can’t read them.  I think they always were like that.

This is the first time I’ve looked closely at the 1981 printing with Darlene’s art on the brown cover.  The maps have more contrast and are much easier to read.  It also has this dragon by Sutherland slipped into the reformatted text on page 6.  Some of the monsters were updated slightly with new stats and three entries were substituted because of the change from Holmes to Moldvay rules — the Large Spiders and Huge Spider became Crab Spiders, and the Giant Tick became a Black Widow Spider.

  1. lair-master reblogged this from oldschoolfrp
  2. knightworg reblogged this from oldschoolfrp
  3. oldschoolfrp posted this